A favicon is a 16 X 16 pixel square icon that serves as an identifier for your website (browser window, browser tab, bookmarks). So, it is important to create and install a suitable favicon for your website.
While searching for free software that helps you create favicons, I found that there were quite a few to choose from, but finally, I decided to use the free, online favicon generator at favicon.cc. This online tool is more than enough to create good basic favicons.
The features of favicon.cc which impress me are:
- Free and web-based. No client to download and install.
- Very simple and intuitive to use.
- You can preview the created favicon before downloading it.
- You can create animated favicons.
- If registered, you can save your favicon online and even publish it under an open Creative Commons license.
- You get useful tips on how to use the favicon within your HTML.
I used favicon.cc to create the favicon for this blog as well as an animated TrafficLight favicon published under the Creative Commons license.
Note: Different browsers handle favicons differently and website developers will be all too familiar with the frustration caused by browser compatability. For example, as of today, Microsoft IE does not support animated favicons.